Read about the scolarship and Dr J. P. Antovic in serbian here
Jovan P Antovic scholarship in the field of thrombosis and hemostasis as a part of
SANKT JOHANNES STIPENDIEFOND
The Jovan P Antovic scholarship offers primarily postdocs but also PhD students in the field of thrombosis and hemostasis short time (1-2 months) financial support to conduct a part of their studies in research facilities at one of Swedish Universities.
The first laureate of fellowship was Iva Pruner, PhD, who has spent 3 months at the Department of Molecular Medicine and Surgery at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, where she has worked on the research entitled "The functional analysis of FII C20068T gene variant as novel thrombophilia risk factor".
The cornerstone of the Jovan P Antovic stipend is the special interaction between fellows from Serbia and Medical Universities and research laboratories from Sweden with scientific and mentoring expertise in the field of thrombosis and hemostasis. This close relationship, developed during the course of the fellowship, and continuing throughout the fellows’ career, is enhanced by additional interactions. These experiences cultivate a life-long appreciation and enthusiasm for the investigation in the field of thrombosis and hemostasis and will be beneficial for both Fellows and their institutions of origin but also to the hosting institutions. Applicants are selected on the basis of an open competition. Individuals with demonstrated intellectual and academic achievement are sought.
Applicants have to be
- registered postdocs within earlier phases of their postdoc studies but at most within 5 years after obtaining their PhD (some exemptions may be made due to parental leave, sick leave etc, a certificate has to be enclosed).
- registered PhD students with an approved research project and as a rule in the later years of doctoral studies (years 2-4)primarily (but not obligatorily) at Universities in Serbia (other Universities in the Western Balkan region may be taken into account).
Prior research and laboratory experience are necessary. Pure theoretical or epidemiological studies will not be supported.
The fellowship is short term but if the stay should be longer than 90 days, the applicant must have and maintain an appropriate visa.
Jovan P Antovic scholarship as a part of SANKT JOHANNES STIPENDIEFOND is committed to promoting diversity in the biomedical and scientific community. We strongly encourage applications from members of
underrepresented backgrounds. However the selection will be made by the Awards Committee based on the:
1. Quality of the project
2. Merits of the applicant
3. Quality of the hosting institution
4. Feasibility of the performance part of the study for the proposed short period of time
Stipend and Benefits
One tax free stipend of approx. SEK 20.000 (the exact amount will be decided on by the Awards Committee on the basis of the application and project plan)
Application Schedule and Information
Competitions are held annually. The application deadline for the academic year 2018 is July 4th, 2018. The application process will start on May 19th, 2018.
Each applicant must submit the following:
•One-page personal statement describing scholarly interests and career plans
•Up to four pages Project description
•Up to two pages Curriculum vitae
•Official transcript of PhD registration (for PhD students) or PhD certificate and postdoc registration for postdocs
• Letter of acceptance signed by a principal investigator from the hosting institution
•Two letters of recommendation
•Any other material that the applicant determines is appropriate to support the application (two additional pages max.)
All documents should be written in English, attached in PDF format and sent to:
Decision will be made within the period August 19th - September 6th by the Awards Committee:
• Associate professor Jovan P. Antovic
• Associate professor Aleksandra Antovic
• Member of Serbian Society on Thrombosis and Hemostasis
• Professor (full or associate) in Thrombosis and Hemostasis from Serbia (or Western Balkans)
• Representative of the "Sankt Johannes Stipendifond"
• The recipient will be officially announced on October 6th (Conception of Saint John the Baptist)
• A Short scientific and financial report (up to two pages) is to be submitted January 17th - February 17th 2019.
Obligations of Awardees
During the time in the laboratory, the fellow will undertake his/her own research project and assume responsibility for it from inception to completion. The fellow is expected, with guidance, to develop the hypothesis and aims of the project, to participate in the experimental design, to carry out experiments, to interpret the data with the help of the supervisor, and to prepare at least an original abstract for a peer-reviewed scientific conference followed by a submission of a manuscript after the completion of the entire project.
Examples of the Research field (the list is not exhaustive):
•Clinical and/or laboratory investigation of hemostatic disturbances in different types of brain injuries (e.g. trauma, tumors, vascular malformation)
•Molecular and cellular investigations related to thrombosis and hemostasis
• Clinical investigations related to atherosclerosis, peripheral vascular disease, stroke, and cardiovascular diseases
• Clinical investigations related to hemophilia and von Willebrand’s disease
•Animal models of cardiovascular disease
•Animal models of hemophilia
•Molecular and human genetics
For more information, contact:
Jovan P. Antovic
phone: +46 8 517 75637
fax: +46 8 517 76150
mobile: +46 734 294447
Sankt Johannes Scholarships - Board member
Sankt Johannes Scholarships - Board member